Sunday, December 20, 2015

Holiday Party - Holiday Fiascos


I was originally going to just post some more of my favorite Christmas carols today, but instead, I want to talk about putting up lights on a Christmas tree. Yes, this sounds random, but hear me out.

This year, due to commitments and other such family stuff, I am the number one person in charge of preparing for Christmas. I’m doing the grocery shopping and a lot of the baking, as well as putting up decorations and such. So this year, for the first time ever, I had to put Christmas lights up on the tree. I’ve set up the tree before, I’ve fluffed the branches out, and I’ve hung ornaments, but I’ve never actually had to deal with hanging the lights on the tree. Heck, I’ve never even seen someone put up Christmas lights on a tree. They just seemed to appear on their own.

So I was a little hesitant about this task. I decided to look up advice, which netted me about 8,000,000 results, each one saying something different. I finally ended up following Michael Walter’s advice, since it closely matched what my dad told me (with a helpful video included). I was set. And then I went to actually put up the lights.

Needless to say, this turned into an hours long affair, and the tree still isn’t finished yet. However, I can now say that I know how to hang lights on a Christmas tree.

So why did I want to share this with y’all? One, because the author who was going to originally post today was unable to due to a conflict and two, because I feel like this time of year can get crazy. I have a giant list of items that need to be completed within the next few days, and it’s stressful.

I think it’s important to take a step back sometimes and just recognize and laugh at what we’re doing. I must have looked like quite a sight while first hanging those lights, tripping all over them, getting stuck in the tree, having to finally throw the lights over parts of the tree in order to continue hanging them. While it wasn’t funny while it was happening, I can now look back on my decorating fiasco and laugh.

So even though things don’t always work out quite as we intended, don’t forget to take a moment to laugh and enjoy the holidays, even when they don’t go quite as planned.

What about y’all? What was your most spectacular holiday fiasco that you laugh at looking back on? 

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of any but I do know when my sister and I are together we always have fun even if the day started off bad or ended badly with us stressed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say shopping on Christmas Eve evening in a packed shopping mall years ago. It was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete