Saturday, December 19, 2015

Holiday Party - Bodhi Day


So, I planned on celebrating this on the actual day, but genius that I am marked it down as the wrong day. Bodhi Day was actually celebrated on December 8 this year, not the 19th, but it’s a beautiful holiday, so I still wanted to share about it. Note: I don't claim to be an expert, this is my understanding of this holiday after much research on it. I may have misunderstood or gotten details wrong, so if you know more, feel free to share in the comments section as I'm always open to learning new things.

Buddha under a Bodhi tree
Bodhi Day is the celebration of the day the Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. It is a day of enlightenment, remembrance and meditation, which can be celebrated many days.

Often, multi-colored lights are strung about the home to symbolize the many pathwa+ys to enlightenment.  The lights are turned on each evening beginning on December 8th and for 30 days thereafter.  A candle is also lit for these thirty days to symbolize enlightenment.

A meal of rice and milk is significant on this holiday.  According to Buddhist legend, Sujata offered this to the Buddha upon his awakening to help him regain strength.

Bodhi tree
Bodhi trees in the home are sometimes decorated with multi-colored lights, strung with beads to symbolize the way all things are united, and hung with three shiny ornaments to represent the Three Jewels - The Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.

This is a beautiful holiday and one of the most important days to Buddhists. I hope you had as much fun learning about Bodhi Day as I did.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post. Thank you for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this day or tree, so very informative. The tree looks so massive with the thick truck and huge branches.

    ReplyDelete