Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wellness Wednesdays: Turkey Chili with Corn and Black Beans Recipe


This is a recipe that I’ve made several times, and it’s been a big hit every time. I use an extra onion instead of red bell peppers in my recipe, as I’m not a fan of them, but I decided to leave the recipe as is so you can choose whether or not to add them. I’ve added notes in the directions from my experience making this dish, but feel free to mix it up, and let me know how it works out for you!


Turkey Chili with Corn and Black Beans
Wonderful way to warm up from the warm chili and HOT spices!

Ingredients:
  • 20 oz. ground turkey
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 can yellow corn
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 can seasoned chili beans

Directions:
1.      Brown turkey in large skillet or large, but shallow pot. After 1 minute, add onion, red bell pepper, and spices. (I recommend adding the spices first, then letting the turkey brown a bit more before adding the onion or bell pepper).
2.    Cook until turkey is no longer pink.
3.    Add canned ingredients and bring to a boil. (I recommend adding a second can of tomato sauce, and even the juice from the chili beans to give it a more liquid consistency and to add to the flavor, but you don’t have to).
4.    Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft.
5.     If you have some wiggle room, garnish with light shredded jack and/or cheddar cheese, dollop of light sour cream, fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, etc. (I personally prefer adding sour cream and jack cheese, but you can mix it up).


Nutritional Info:
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:
  • Calories: 212.6
  • Total Fat: 6.4 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 361.5 mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.1 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g
  • Protein: 19.4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment