Saturday, May 17, 2014

Hop Against Homophobia and Transphobia

So, today marks the 9th annual International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, and the 3rd Hop Against Homophobia. Last year, I talked about being asexual. This year, I decided to do something a little different and talk about why I support LGBT rights. When people ask me why I stand against homophobia, I tell them I stand against hate. 

I've never understood how people can be so hateful. I spent most of my childhood years being bullied. So, I know what it's like to be a victim, to feel alone and helpless. I still remember my 4th grade teacher telling me that there would always be bullies and I should just accept it.


That's one of the reasons I work with children. I refuse to believe what my teacher told me. Children are also the future. I teach my kids love, tolerance, and kindness. That it's okay to be different. That even if they don't agree with someone, they still should be civil and tolerant. I don't teach my kids that just to fight against homophobia, but to fight against hatred of all kinds. As the Beatles said, all you need is love. By teaching children to love rather than hate, we make the world a better place.


So, in a nutshell, I believe in freedom. I believe in equality. I believe in tolerance. And most of all, I believe in love, not hate. 




So, to celebrate this hop and IDAHAT, I'm giving away winner's choice of one of four ebooks. To enter, simply leave a comment about why you fight against homophobia and transphobia with your email address.

Congrats to Latona on winning your choice of book!

The Ivy League Rake by Ryan Field

Dex in Blue by Amy Lane

Chemistry by Lisabet Sarai

Blind Date by Emily Cantore

18 comments:

  1. I believe that love is love and everyone is entitled to love who they want

    leetee2007@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking part in the hop! I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fight against homophobia because all love is equal.
    rockybatt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fighting against homophobia is fighting against discrimination!

    vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be true I am not sure. I just feel that all human beings are born equal and should be treated as equals. Probably that's why I support LGBT community too.

    ladyunwritten[AT]gmail[DOT]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several people in my family who are gay. I fight against homophobia because I believe everyone should be able to be who they are!
    aegger.echo @ yahoo .com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love is love. When someone is lucky enough to find that, they should be able to tell the world, not have to hide it because of the ignorance of others. I believe we all have the right to love openly.
    terrihawk66@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for being a part of the hop!
    raynman1979(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe everyone is entitled to the same rights as everyone else in the world. Sexuality and race shouldn't play a part and everyone should be allowed to live as they see fit.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone should be treated with respect

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Believing in love instead of hate is easy, but how do we put it into action? Ah, if only we could figure that out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that everyone has the right to be true to themselves and to give and receive love.
    MHUPP20032003(AT)YAHOO(DOT)COM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone should have the freedom to be who they are.

    lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because everyone deserves happiness. caddyauthor(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe equality is for all.
    cvsimpkins@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe people deserve to be happy no matter who they are or who they love. wendynjason04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe everyone should be treated the same. I enjoyed your post. Thanks for being part of the hop.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for joining us and calling homophobia really is: hate born out of ignorance.

    ReplyDelete